The Motion Control FPGA package extends the Education real-time target machine with an additional I/O module and complementing Speedgoat FPGA Code Modules to study and teach advanced mechatronic.
Key components of the Motion Control FPGA Package
- Multi-functional motion control I/O module with 64 x 3.3V/5V digital TTL lines and Xilinx Spartan 6 chip with 50k logic cells
- FPGA Code Module implementation (bitstream) for PWM, Capture, Quadrature Decoding, and generic digital I/O (see below)
- Cable and terminal board
- Simulink Real-Time driver blocks and Simulink test models
Speedgoat configures the Xilinx Spartan 6 chip with the following set of pulse train capture and generation functionality:
- PWM: 3 channels for PWM signal generation (asymetric, symetric, centered, single-phase, multi-phase, deadband compensation) and frequency-modulated pulse trains
- CAP: 3 channels for measuring pulse duration, period duration, and PWM duty-cycle
- QAD: 3 channels for quadrature decoding of incremental encoder sensor inputs
- INT: 1 interrupt such as for synchronization with analog I/O channels
- DIO: 40 generic digital I/O lines
Custom FPGA design concepts
You can develop your own FPGA designs using the Education FPGA Development Guide for Simulink Real-Time which includes step-by-step instructions, VHDL code examples, and Simulink blocks for FPGA bitstream-download and FPGA application interaction.